Another convoy of displaced people return to Saadiya

August 3, 2018 at 9:22 am

Diyala, 1 August 2018, the return of tens of displaced families from Khanaqin to Saadiya. Photo: Hawre Azad

Diyala, 1 August 2018, the return of tens of displaced families from Khanaqin to Saadiya. Photo: Hawre Azad

Hawre Azad – Diyala
Tens of displaced families decide to return home in Saadiya, but thousands refuse to due to lack of services.
The Islamic State war displaced seven thousand families from Saadiya, but some decided to return earlier this year.
Ali Ghazi, the director of Migration Department in Khanaqin told KirkukNow, “Wednesday, 1 August, the 22nd convoy of the displaced families, 189 families, returned to the centre of the town and its environs.”
The displaced families were in Diyala camps, mostly in Khanaqin, and were barred from returning, until the security plan changed.

Khanaqin, 5 August 2017, the moment of returning the displaced families to Saadiya. Photo: Hawre Azad

Khanaqin, 5 August 2017, the moment of returning the displaced families to Saadiya. Photo: Hawre Azad

“The returning process continues. As of now, 4,305 families have returned to Saadiya, but some families do not settle down in Saadiya anymore due to the lack of services for people,” he said.
Unemployment is another reason behind their refusal to return, as the official said, most of the villages and towns are left untouched after the ISIL ouster.
However, the Iraqi government kicked off a reconstruction process, cooperating with the charity organisations.
The returnees undergo security checks to guarantee the absence of ISIL sleeper sells among the displaced people.
Saadiya is a town in Khanaqin, with a mixed population of Arabs, Kurds, Turkmens, both Shia and Sunni. ISIL overran it in the middle of 2014, but the army, Popular Mobilisation Forces and Police could retake it in November 2014.

62 views

Photo Gallery

Print This Post Print This Post